Proposed revision to daml-ont

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 16:47:40 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
After studying the comments on the early versions of daml-ont, and the
differences between daml-ont and OIL, Peter Patel-Schneider and I have
come up with a proposed revision to daml-ont that addresses many/all
of the problems that have been identified. In particular, the revision
solves the problems with primitive/defined classes and cardinality
constraints.

The revision will also make it much easier to define a mapping between
daml and OIL and, in the longer term, to come up with a unified
proposal for a core ontology language. With this in mind we have
tentatively called the revised language "daml-oil".

The DAML-OIL proposal can be found at:

	http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/DAML-OIL

The proposal consists of the following files:

daml-oil.rdf     - the revised language specification
daml-oil-ex.rdf  - the revised example ontology
changes.txt      - an explanation of the changes
semantics.txt    - a revised denotational semantics
differences.txt  - a list of the remaining differences w.r.t. OIL

Regards, Ian and Peter

--
Ian Horrocks, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK.