RE: TODO++: daml-ont TallThing

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 13:51:07 -0600
To: "McBride, Brian" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
> > > There are a couple of minor nits in the example ontology:
> > >
> > > 1) Father is desribed as having range Man, but presumably
> > >    inherits domain Animal from Parent.  Mother is similar.
>
>A mother of a fox is not human.  I'd expect the domain and range
>to match i.e. domain of mother is person if range is woman, or
>range of mother is female animal if domain is animal.
>
>A real nit - sorry.

No, a very good point. this is exactly the kind of issue that we need
to get to grips with and which a proper semantics would make clear.
It isnt trivial to specify a proper inheritance mechanism.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes