Re: DAML: About Thing, Nothing and the "universe of discourse"

From: Jim Hendler <jhendler@darpa.mil>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:36:26 -0500
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk
Cc: phayes@ai.uwf.edu, mmc@mortench.net, www-rdf-logic@w3.org

>PPS: There are other issues to be resolved with respect to fooThing.  For
>example, would it be disjoint from barThing, where barThing is the top of
>some other ontology?

Seems to me that defining a default Thing (and possibly a bottom)
would make things much easier in general for all of the various
parties involved -- by rooting all the ontologies at the same root
node, there would be both mathematical advantages (whole inheritance
hierarchy would become a rooted graph, and in most cases a rooted
DAG)  as well as obvious interoperability advantages.   What would be
the advantage of letting each designer do their own (and why wouldn't
we want a global one) -- I have often stated that IMHO the best
"high-level ontology" for the web would be the single node "Thing"
(or, perhaps that should be http://...//DAML+OIL:DOThing or
RDFS:RDFSThing)

Dr. James Hendler		jhendler@darpa.mil
Chief Scientist, DARPA/ISO	703-696-2238 (phone)
3701 N. Fairfax Dr.		703-696-2201 (Fax)
Arlington, VA 22203		http://www.cs.umd.edu/~hendler