Re: RDF Schema and Internationalization

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:52:58 +0100
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

David Pratt wrote:

Note that we are now using a new list at semantic-web@w3.org

>  I am not clear about how to deal with internationalize data however.
> Let's use a product as an example.  If it has properties (predicates)
> such as a hasSKU, hasTitle, hasDescription, the title and description
> properties could be in different languages. How does one deal with
> internationalization in the schema.  Do I have to create properties like
> hasTitleEn, hasTitleFr, hasTitleEs  etc. so my schema will handle
> multiple languagesor is there another way. It seems this approach would
> not be a very dynamic and involve much duplication in my schema which is
> already large. I would appreciate pointers on what I should do.  Many
> thanks.

Let hasTitle etc. allow for multiple values.

Then have an English value, a French, and so on.

When rendering for humans select the value appropriate for their
language preferences.

Since this is potentially bloaty in the case of a user-agent that has
sent an accept-languages header tou could also restrict the values
transmitted in a given transfer to only those appropriate.