(unknown charset) Re: [VM] Configuration management for RDFS/OWL ontologies

From: (unknown charset) Thomas Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 11:39:30 +0200
To: (unknown charset) Jan Algermissen <jalgermissen@topicmapping.com>
Cc: (unknown charset) "Miles, AJ ((Alistair))" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>, David Price <david.price@eurostep.com>, public-swbp-wg@w3.org, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 09:36:15PM +0200, Jan Algermissen wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2005, at 5:56 PM, Miles, AJ ((Alistair)) wrote:
> >I'd be happy to rename it to 'change management'.
> Beware that change management is primarily interested in the
> management of the change *process* (requesting a change, controlling
> undesired effects of the intended change, getting approval etc.) not
> the versioning issues.

This puts a finger on why I'm not comfortable with the word

> Configuration management OTH, *is* concerned with managing the
> versions (or at least baselines) if applied to source code (the
> configuration of a piece of source code is its content).

However, analogies involving software code or automobile options
seem misleading.

How about "change documentation" or even (to come full circle)
"version documentation"?

Dr. Thomas Baker                      baker@sub.uni-goettingen.de
SUB - Goettingen State                            +49-551-39-3883
and University Library                           +49-30-8109-9027
Papendiek 14, 37073 Göttingen