Re: [RSS-DEV] RSS 1.1

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:47:25 +0100
To: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Cc: rss-dev@yahoogroups.com, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:16:24 -0000, Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net> wrote:

> > 1. The one thing that really sticks out for me is the (rather silly?)
> > capitalization on the 'Channel' element which looks like a
>
> The one thing that really sticks out for me is that they had the sense to
> capitalise the Channel element. YMMV.

Heh. I'm with Dan on this one - RDF/XML is easier to read with the
Class/property convention. (Or following the CDF precedent, all
elements shouting ;-)

Generally, this does seem like a pretty reasonable improvement over
1.0, but - this should have been RSS 2.0!

I anticipated 1.0.1/1.1 to be max-compatibility bugfix only, so this
this version came as a bit of a surprise. It doesn't seem to have
direct compatibility beyond being RDF & XML. I won't try to speculate
what this means in the world at large...

I'm not sure about the containment business. I don't think the
justification of syntax similarity to RSS 0.9x/2.0 really counts for
much. What's needed IMHO is the expression that *all* the items from
all feed documents from that URI are in the same container or
collection. I don't think having lots of 15-item Collections will help
(I hope to be proved wrong). Personally I'd probably have got rid of
<items> altogether, and added a <inChannel> property to each item. If
order's needed (is it?), make it explicit with <previous>.

I'd also have the channel URI as the feed rather than feed or homepage.

What might well be useful are normative mappings from/to Atom, RSS 1.0
and RSS 2.0.

Cheers,
Danny.

--