RE: [RSS-DEV] RSS 1.1

Hi Sean:

Couple quick comments on 1.1 before brighter young minds offer their more
studied feedback.

1. The one thing that really sticks out for me is the (rather silly?)
capitalization on the 'Channel' element which looks like a throwback to the
striping model. I think this is 100% guaranteed to put folks off this
format. Let's have striping on - or off. But not some weird hybrid. Nobody,
but nobody (well, maybe some people), will figure out the logic for
uppercasing/lowercasing. Prefer the KISS principle. I do remain vehemently
(sorry, but honest) opposed to this.

2. Some comments on wording.

Abstract has 'popular RSS 1.0'. 2. Motivation has demoted this to 'however,
uptake for RSS 1.0 has been relatively limited'. Do we need to decide?

Abstract has 'RSS 1.1. is as extensible as RSS 1.0 and can even make use of
its extension modules.' All sounds a bit desperate to me.

1. Introduction has 'It allows content distributors such as news portals,
webloggers, and other providers of up-to-the-minute content to publish ...'.
We would argue that RSS 1.0 (and by extension 1.1 ;) is not just for
'up-to-the minute' syndication but represents a generic format for
distributing content using a specific RDF profile. Specifically we (and
possibly other publishers) are interested in providing archival material
with an RSS (read RDF) interface.

2. Motivation. 'RSS 0.92, RSS 2.0, and Atom'. Is that right? - I don't know.
Is '0.92' more successful than '0.91'?

2. Motivation. 'however, uptake for RSS 1.0 has been relatively limited'.
Again true? How limited is 'relatively'?

2. Motivation. 'developing the other descendant of RSS 1.0, Atom'. Excuse
me. I wasn't aware that Atom, as such, was a descendant of RSS 1.0.

3. Just a minor point. The <url> element. Why? Shouldn't this be, at least,
<uri>. (The term URL is pretty much deprectaed these days. Just lingers on
in folksonomies.) The XSD datatype anyuway is 'xsd:anyURI'.

Anyhows, look forward to taking a closer look.

Yours, vehemently opposed, etc.

Tony

Tony Hammond

New Technology, Nature Publishing Group