Re: xml without rdf, but with an ontology [0]

From: Ian Davis <iand@internetalchemy.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:07:30 +0000
To: atom-owl@googlegroups.com
CC: www-rdf-interest@w3.org, jsled@asynchronous.org, bloged <users@bloged.dev.java.net>

On 14/01/2005 15:40, Henry Story wrote:

> so we can find the definition of foaf:homepage at
>
> http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#homepage

There's no requirement from the web that this should be true. What if
the extension namespace were urn:foo:1234567:foaf ?

> [snip]
>
>> So, there need to be some sort of structural rules that define what
>> types of triples should be produced. These rules should be consistent
>> and work from the instance document. For the specific case of Atom
>> the  following suggested equivilences between markup and NTriples
>> might  serve:
>>

> Before I go into these examples, can you tell me how my proposal does
> NOT deal with them?

1. It assumes that every extension will have an OWL schema at the
namespace URI. I don't believe that extensions will have OWL schemas in
general, or that they will be always accessible at that URI.

2. It also handles different instances of the same extension in
different ways. I'm sure you've already done this but can you list the
production rules for triples in the scenarios I listed. Assume that
<extension> is typed as a property in an OWL schema. Imagine then that
the extension contains contact information for an author but your
software can't know this up front so it has to work out how to display
it. What query do you write against the triple store to get this
information?

Ian