Re: a simpler form of rdf xml

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:14:18 -0500
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
CC: www-rdf-interest@w3.org, atom-owl@googlegroups.com

Sandro Hawke wrote:
>>>Or turn the element into a URI and
>>>look it up to see whether it's a Class or Property.
>>
>>that's exactly the kind of things that people from the XML world want to
>>avoid (as much as they can).
>
> Why?

KISS.

the first solution is way easier to implement and use than the second.

moreover, the existing XML tools (and systems and frameworks) know
nothing about network-discovered and assembled schemas. they are *NOT*
built with an open world assumption. the most they can do is to fetch a
schema for validation from a URL or a catalog.

So, while the above suggestion doesn't seem like a big deal for people
with a concept of open world and distributed data access, it does look
academic for people that, like in this case, *just* want to encode their
blog data and metadata so that other people can use it and are not
afraid to recommend a way to do it.

Personally, I totally see your point and I agree that it's the most
elegant way to achieve that goal (because it does *NOT* require anybody
to agree on a way to encode elements)

But thinking back a few years, I would have turned away in disgust.

Also, I don't think they know about ontaria ;-)

--
Stefano.