Re: missing bit of RDF for XML people

From: Stefano Mazzocchi <stefanom@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:19:24 -0500
To: Frank Manola <fmanola@acm.org>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Frank Manola wrote:

> You don't necessarily need a *blank* predicate.  You just need a
> "standard" predicate (standard for somebody!) that means "is related to"
> (in some way that you haven't identified further).  Using this, you'd
> write something like:
>
>   subject        predicate          object
>
>  country  - ex:isRelatedTo --> "Canada"
>  country  - ex:isRelatedTo --> city  - ex:isRelatedTo --> "Montréal"
>  country  - ex:isRelatedTo --> city  - ex:isRelatedTo --> "Toronto"
>  country  - ex:isRelatedTo --> city  - ex:isRelatedTo -->
>  "Vancouver"

I strongly believe this would be one step forward and five steps
backwards. The above might be valid RDF but it's completely useless:
throw it into a triple-store and it feels just like a lot of noisy bNodes.

I would much rather have some sort of declarative 'semanticsheet'
(produced by the data makers or by some 'semantic annotators') that
makes the information implicitly encoded in the xpaths explicit:

country/text() -> dc:title
country/city -> geo:city

but this is only half of the puzzle, since the URI identification of the
nodes is still missing.

[BTW, this is part of my research work on the RDFification of data for
the SIMILE project, the above 'semanticsheet' could be easily translated
into XSLT]

--
Stefano Mazzocchi
Research Scientist                 Digital Libraries Research Group