Re: SemWeb Non-Starter -- Distributed URI Discovery

On Apr 11, 2005, at 12:38, ext Andy Powell wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>
>> E.g. what if your sw agent prefers N3, or XTM, or TriX, and all
>> are supported by the given server. If you've used conneg to get
>> the description itself, what do you use to ask the server for
>> a prefered encoding?
>
> You use a MIME type that is specific enough to ask for the encoding of
> the description that you want.

???

I don't think you groked what I was asking.

>> In short, using conneg to provide URIQA-like functionality is
>> a misuse of conneg. It's a hack. And it precludes using conneg
>> for what it was intended for.
>
> I'm still confused... supposing that for a particular resource my
> server supports the following representations
>
> HTML
> PDF
> RDF+XML
> RDF+N3
>
> You seem to be saying that it's OK to use conneg to ask for the first
> two of these... but it's not OK to use it to request the other two?

Not at all.

You can certainly use conneg to ask for an RDF/XML or N3 encoded
representation -- but such a representation will not necessarily
(or even likely) be a CBD.

> Supposing also that my server supports a 'complex object'
> representation - for example, a METS package that contains both the
> HTML and the RDF+XML representation?
>
> Am I allowed to use conneg to request that representation or not?

Sure. Why not. I think you're missing one key point, and that is
being able to ask for a CBD, not just a particular encoding format.

Patrick