modeling document classes with OWL

From: Jan Algermissen <jalgermissen@topicmapping.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:14:32 +0200
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Hi,

I want to use OWL class descriptions to define classes of documents but
I can't find out, how to describe (for example) that an 'Article' has a
sequence of sections.

Here is an example:

First I describe that 'Articles have exactly one dc:title and one
dc:creator'

<owl:Class rdf:ID="Article">
  <owl:equivalentClass>
    <owl:Class>
      <owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
        <owl:Restriction>
          <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="&dc;title" />
          <owl:cardinality
            rdf:datatype="&xsd;nonNegativeInteger">1</owl:cardinality>
        </owl:Restriction>
        <owl:Restriction>
          <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="&dc;creator" />
          <owl:cardinality
            rdf:datatype="&xsd;nonNegativeInteger">1</owl:cardinality>
        </owl:Restriction>
      </owl:intersectionOf>
    </owl:Class>
  </owl:equivalentClass>
</owl:Class>

(That is the (a) way to do that I hope).

I'd add other required or optional properties (such as teaser, copyright information, etc.) in the same way.

I (think) I can say that an Article has 0...N sections with owl:minCardinality and owl:maxCardinality, but I want them to be ordered (of course).

An instance of the Article class I have in mind would need to 'have' an rdf:Seq containing the sections, I think (correct?). Could anyone help me with the question of how I say that in OWL?

Note:

- I know that XML would be my friend here, but I do want to use RDF
- I also do not want to use XML semantics (like the infoset RDF namespace) to express the desired content model

Many! thanks in advance for any clarification of this issue.

Jan

--
Jan Algermissen
Consultant & Programmer