RE: SemWeb Non-Starter -- Distributed URI Discovery

From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 07:27:36 -0800
To: "Miles, AJ \(Alistair\)" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>, "Stephen Rhoads" <rhoadsnyc@mac.com>, <semantic-web@w3.org>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

> > As far as I can tell, there is no formal, generalized mechanism to
> > reliably query the owner of a URI in order to obtain an RDF
> > Description of that URI.  And this is a serious impediment to the
> > Semantic Web.
>
> I think this hits the nail on the head.

Actually, I think this completely misses the point.  If you must know
the owner of the URI to get a description of it, it is NOT the "semantic
web".

This would be like saying that you have to know the owner of the URI in
order to see any links to that URI.  Such an idea would have completely
destroyed the WWW as we know it.  Same is true of SW.