Re: Email Address as FOAF term

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:21:19 -0400
To: "Lynn, James (Software Services)" <james.lynn@hp.com>
Cc: Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt@crschmidt.net>, john.nj.davies@bt.com, Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk, Kianoush.Eshaghi@metadat.at, charles@w3.org, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

* Lynn, James (Software Services) <james.lynn@hp.com> [2004-09-29 10:47-0400]
> So is it ok to lang tag mbox without affecting mbox_sha1sum? More specifically, does an mbox literal with lang tags hash to the same mbox_sha1sum as the same literal without the lang tags (or ignoring lang tags?

foaf:mbox as an RDF property, doesn't take literal values, just points
to a resource (bnode or URI reference), and xml:lang doesn't affect
those. When hashing the (typically mailto:) mailbox URI to
generate mbox_sha1sum, we strip out surrounding whitespace and ignore
language tagging, which is why lang-tagging the resulting textual
property should be meaningless.

Probably the 'right' thing to do would to have been to use RDF
datatyping, however I find the instance data syntax unhappily verbose,
so instead we have to work around the lang tag issues.

hope this makes sense,

Dan