RE: web proper names redux

I think what is needed is to be clear about the level or layer
at which the URI is being employed. At some layers, e.g. the
semantic web layer, the URI is fully opaque. At other layers,
e.g. the web layer, the URI is less opaque in specific ways,
since it must be parsed to determine if/how resolution should
take place.

But even at the web layer, there are still elements of opacity
to URIs in that e.g. mnemonic/linguistic characteristics that
one might wish to identify and interpret in some manner would
not be licensed -- i.e. the URI terminal substring '.html' does
not indicate anything about the encoding of any representation
one might obtain via that URI; insofar as the web architecture
is concerned, that aspect of the URI is opaque, even if it
offers the humans creating/managing that URI some utility.

Opacity is IMO a central and critical feature of the web and
semantic web, and rather than not speaking about opacity, we
simply need to be clear about what degree of opacity holds at
a given layer of the architectural cake.

Cheers,

Patrick