RE: querying reacheability using RDQL

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 04:55, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> Query expressions in RDQL are of fixed length so, no, you can't write an
> arbitrary reachability query.
>
> One way it can happen is if the source provides inference and there is
> some super property which is transitive.  Then it is just a matter of
> asking (?x :p ?y).
>
> An example would be rdfs:subClassOf.

Note: this is easy to express in Versa[1] without any special
arrangement in the data model

traverse(tn1, all(), vtrav:transitive)

> Do you have a concrete use case for this requirement?  The RDF Data
> Access Working group is working on a query language and it is gathering
> requirements:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-dawg-uc/

One of many example use cases: my app is about to delete a node and
wants to do simple processing on each connected node.  I'd use such a
query to get a list of resources my app can then simply iterate over.

[1] http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/rdf/versa/

A hands-on introduction to ISO Schematron - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-xschematron-i.html
Wrestling HTML (using Python) - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/09/08/pyxml.html
XML circles the globe - http://www.javareport.com/article.asp?id=9797