Re: web proper names redux

Hammond, Tony wrote:
>>This isn't really a "solution" at the RDF level, since URIs
>>are fully opaque, and thus, one is not licensed to examine
>>the URI scheme to make decisions regarding the meaning of a
>>given URI, insofar as the RDF MT is concerned. True, some
>>people do that, but that is non-conformant and potentially
>>dangerous behavior for a SW client.
>

> This actually should not go unchallenged - it is simply incorrect - see
>
> 	http://w3.org/TR/webarch/#uri-opacity

Patrick specifically qualified the remark you quoted above by
restricting it to the RDF Recs.  Any parsing of URLs is above and beyond
what a conformant RDF processor is required to do.  There is nothing to
prevent you from parsing out a uri and using the results to add triples,
and it might even be very useful sometimes, but it's not provided for by
RDF.  And why should it be?  At present, RDF has no mechanism to
incorporate any specific uri into itself, no matter how useful it might
be.  I don't see a good reason to integrate in a specific uri scheme
that can be parsed, when we can't integrate any uris, period.

Cheers,

Tom P

--
Thomas B. Passin
Explorer's Guide to the Semantic Web (Manning Books)