RE: web proper names redux [Mea culpal]

Hi:

Apologies - I see that I should retract the first quote I provided. The URI
Opacity section in AWWW is concerned primarily with inferring
characteristics of the resource from the URI syntax. This is true.

What I was attempting (clumsily) to address was that one can meaningfully
interpret information embedded within a URI string - if there is a public
specification for so doing. Hence a URI need not be opaque with regard to
information transfer, although it remains opaque with regard to any
representations that it can be dereferenced to.

Tony