Re: web proper names

* Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@comcast.net> [2004-09-20 17:28-0400]

> Harry Halpin wrote:
> >
> >Also, as regards Passim's predicates:
> >1) subjectIsTheThingReturnedByThisURI
> >2) theDocumentAtThisUriDescribesTheSubject
> >3) theDocumentAtThisUriIsAboutTheSubject
> >
> >I would replace "Document" with "Representation", and I'm not sure
> >about this "About" versus "Describes" distinction. Seems unclear.
>

> "About" as I used it here means the main subject of the web page (or
> other retrievable) resource.  An example would be an encyclopedia
> article about water.  The purpose of the page is related to the subject
> (here, water), and is not intended to explain the use of any URI
> identifier for water, such as http://www.example.com/water.

This sounds similar to what we have in FOAF; foaf:topic and
foaf:primaryTopic. Details (such as they are) in http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/

Idea is a relationship between a Document and a thing that that doc
is about. In the primaryTopic case, _the_ thing that the doc is
primarily about.

In general, given the shiftiness of the notion of 'aboutness' I suspect
it might be best to defer to documents' own claims re what they're
about. But that's orthogonal I suspect...

Dan