Re: Generated RDF conformant with good practise?

On 20/09/2004, at 1:49 PM, Thomas B. Passin wrote:

> Matt Halstead wrote:
>> This is a good example of something I have wondered about.  If in
>> fact one wanted to create an RDF schema to describe such a structure,
>> then it would be nice to be able to describe that the range of
>> bibterm:book is any resource that has the properties bibterm:year and
>> dc:title.  Is it possible to do this without making a class to
>> represent that, or using the syntax and semantics of OWL?  I.e. is it
>> possible in plain RDF/RDF-S to say that the properties of
>> bibterm:year and bibterm:title are sufficient for a resource to be a
>> valid instance?
>
> Well, yes and no.  RDF/RDFS has no inherent semantics that means what
> you are asking for - that's the job of, i.e., owl - so in that sense,
> "no".  OTOH, you can define any "terms" you like and use them that
> way.  In that sense, "yes".  But they won't be standard and so they
> won't be understood by standard processors.

Yep, I thought that was the case.  Thanks.

>> if not, then perhaps it is worth considering a non-anoymous resource
>> for this relationship so that one can still define the architecture
>> of the bibterm:book property in RDF/RDF-S semantics.
>
> You can give an anonymous node an rdf:type without having to give it
> an identifying uri.  So you can actually have both ways in this case.

Yes, that is what I was intending, not sure what I thought URI had to
do with it.  But I guess there is no real usefulness in typing it
unless some other property definition wants to refer to that kind of
thing explicitly.

cheers
Matt