RDF model sync, HTTP deltas, syndicated feeds (and a bounty)

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:26:31 +0200
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org, rdfweb-dev@vapours.rdfweb.org, semanticweb@yahoogroups.com
Cc: bob@wyman.us

Long story short, PubSub.com is willing to offer a $5,000 bounty to
whoever builds the "best" implementation of RFC3229 (Delta encoding in
HTTP) with appropriate extensions for use with syndication feeds as an
open source Apache module by Jan 1, 2005.

The requirements for feed-oriented delta transfers are very, very
close to those for passing around  potentially huge, dynamically
changing RDF/XML files, effectively synchronizing models between
systems. Seems to me PubSub's solution could feed two birds with one
bean, hence this mail.

In the past few days there have been a couple of related developments
- MSDN got stung with excessive bandwidth costs trying to broadcast
the aggregated content of 1300+ feeds [2], and a (relatively!)  simple
algorithm for a delta-based solution has been described [3]. Most of
the discussion has been taking place on the atom-syntax list [4].

Bob Wyman (of PubSub) describes the feed-oriented requirements some
more at [5], there's a little more background on my blog at [6],[7].

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3229.txt
[2] http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2004/09/08.html#a8195