Re: licence for Ontologies

Note: I have CCed a couple of other lists, especially the
www-rdf-interest list as I think this problem is more general than any
particular ontology, be it FOAF or Atom-OWL.
The original question was asked here:
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/atom-owl/>

There I suggested that ontologies should perhaps have a license that is
more restrictive than the BSD license, in that they should allow free
copying, but only very limited changes, nevertheless allow isomorphic
ontologies to be developed (just change all the URI's) these being
completely free to use any of the language in the original.

Thanks for your two responses, Ron and Peter.

The  most established license for our Atom-OWL code/ontology would be
the BSD license with attributions to the creator, since it is over 30
years old. The BSD licence seems equivalent in spirit to the creative
commons attribution and share-alike license, the FOAF group is using.
One could even dual license it, I suppose. And initially at least, I am
happy with both.

I raised the question because I was not completely clear whether an
ontology is code, text, or an interface specification/protocol, as
suggested by Peter Saint-André.

It also seems established practice with Ontologies to change all the
URLs in the document for any substantial version change. Since the FOAF
group itself does this when it moves to a new version, should not
everyone else who wants to alter and improve on the ontology follow
suite? [1] If there were a simple way to specify how to transform one
ontology to a successor version this would not cause any problems.
(perhaps this is being worked on)

The two examples mentions by Ron Alford,

>> Alternate copy of Annotea's http ontology to correct RDF/XML syntax
>> errors.
>> Alternate copies of foaf so that they made at least marginal sense
>> when looking at them with an OWL parser.

don't so much seem to be changes to the ontology as corrections to it.
If one could allow corrections, translations into other RDF
serializations, translations of the comments, that would be what
ontology creators really would be looking for.

But what does not seem quite right is taking an ontology, and
redefining the terms to mean something completely different, or making
slight changes to the relations between the terms, yet still leaving
one the impression that one is speaking about the same thing,
especially as it seems so easy to make the difference obvious by
changing the URIs that compose the ontology.

I suppose the question is how does this differ from a library written
in C, lisp, or other such languages? My suggestion here would be that
none of these language define their variables or functions as URIs ie
*Universal* resource identifiers. The code sometimes calls functions in
files that make reference to standards they implement (which in some
sense makes the standards similar to URIs). When they don't make
reference to such standards there is no universal statements made, and
so changing or adapting a function to do something else in no way
breaks any expectations. Changing an ontology in the way that concerns
me and publishing it does on the other hand create a confusion.

I will be happy to go with the BSD licence for the moment. But perhaps
there is longer term a question here that needs looking at.

Henry Story

[1] I do this myself with the two Atom-OWL versions I proposed:
     - <http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2004-06-22/atom.owl>
	- <http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2004-08-12/Atom.owl>

On 26 Oct 2004, at 23:05, Ron Alford wrote on
rdfweb-dev@vapours.rdfweb.org:

> Henry Story wrote:
>>     you can copy this ontology as much as you wish, but cannot change
>> the ontology it represents without agreement from the ontology
>> copyright holder. You can on the other hand create an isomorphic
>> ontology to this one, (change all the uris to different ones you
>> own), and you can make any changes you wish to that one.
>
> As someone who continually finds himself having to make alternate
> versions of ontologies, I would find that ontology exceptionally hard
> to stomach.
>>
>> Here are some recent examples:
>> Alternate copy of Annotea's http ontology to correct RDF/XML syntax
>> errors.
>> Alternate copies of foaf so that they made at least marginal sense
>> when looking at them with an OWL parser.
>
> What are you afraid of with people making changes to the ontology?
> That people might adopt an alternate view of your terms?
> The semantic web seems /expressly/ designed to allow this.

Perhaps this is indeed something I have not yet quite understood.

> -Ron

On 27 Oct 2004, Peter Saint-André wrote, on