RE: [rdfweb-dev] RE: Atom and RDF

Dublin Core is not just an RDF vocabulary; the terms are used much more
widely that RDF or RSS even.  I would just add to your list that you can
find a lot about what vocabularies people are using (at least for
publishing) by looking on Swoogle; it counts incidences of terms.  I was
surprised by some of the vocabularies that are being used in published
documents.

In any case, I think you need to evaluate "popularity" in terms of both
people publishing it, and peopls *using* it.  Many of the RDF
vocabularies have limited popularity in terms of installed base of apps
with support and people actually *using* the information.  RSS 1.0 is
probably tops (among RDF, not among syndication), and then FOAF is
probably second.  I would guess that DC is more popular than both in
terms of installed base of apps that produce & consume and are used on a
daily basis.  I would also point out that even the most popular RDF
vocabulary, FOAF, does not have support in aggregators right now.  I
will be the first to suggest that aggregators should include support for
FOAF/LOAF for collaborative filtering and rating, so this is not a slam
on RDF.  I am just saying we need to be realistic about what the
*actual* penetration of RDF in the syndication (and overall software)
space is.  I don't think we can serve the cause of advocacy when people
feel like we are stretching facts, saying that "RSS is a glorious
example of RDF" when most RSS 1.0 readers are not even RDF conformant,
and so on.  I just don't think it is necessary or useful to overstate
the success of RDF; in fact it damages the credibility of people who are
working on actually useful stuff IMO.