RDF within Schema

From: Craig Gannon <craigg@crabacle.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:14:22 +0100
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Cc: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org>, "Tom Croucher" <tom.croucher@sunderland.ac.uk>
The commercial arena is currently bereft of tooling to take uniquely
qualified concepts up through Schema and into ontology modelling
technologies. - In practice this needs both a top-down and bottom-up
approach to modelling in order to validate the concepts involved - ideally
this would provide the ability to round trip within the metadata stack.

I have recently encountered the concept of:

Extending Schema to include the 'RDF triples' (i.e. reference out to a
namespace that contains RDF properties but not RDF documents themselves). On
the face of it this sounds a reasonable idea but it also worries me as:

A) I am aware that there is current discussion within the semantic web
community to maintain a disjoint between content and metadata. Surely
applying RDF within Schema is contradictory to this convention?
B) RDF was designed as a solution for a specific problem space - giving
processes and elements context and meaning - Schema wasn't designed for this
(if it was there wouldn't be RDF);
C) It prevents adopting newer standards and technologies building upon RDF;
D) It makes the schema too fat and cludgy;
E) Schema is an implementation technology, RDF is a modelling technology.

I would welcome your views and thoughts.

Regards

Craig Gannon

http://www.crabacle.co.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 7711 822 910