RE: URIQA thwarted by context problems?

From: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:17:59 +0300
To: <pdawes@users.sourceforge.net>, <giovanni@wup.it>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

> CBDlike have a very
>  > limited computational cost and can be considered as the "standard
>  > question to ask" the "standard questions that anyone is willing to
>  > answer" (becouse you cant really say "i am open for
> arbitrary queries"
>  > without opening your computer to easy denial of services).

I had wanted (and forgot) to comment on this very important point that
Giovanni makes about the run-time cost of arbitrary query support, which
has been rattling around in my subconscious yet I've never gotten around
to explicitly stating myself, at least as clearly as Giovanni does here.

There will likely be many cases where server owners would like to publish
knowledge about key resources under their management/control/ownership,
but do not wish to, or are unnable to, support fully general RDF query
facilities.

The benefit of simply adding URIQA support to their server, which imposes
minimal implementational and run-time costs, should not be underestimated;
even when tools emerge allowing the deployment of full DAWG (SPARQL)
solutions.

Patrick