Versioning

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 18:12:59 +0200
To: rdf-interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

How do I make statements about a particular version of a resource?

One approach:

File 1:

<http://uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345>
   owl:versionInfo '1'
   curated 'false'

File 2:

<http://uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345>
   owl:versionInfo '2'
   curated 'true'

But if this data is merged:

<http://uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345>
   owl:versionInfo '1'
   owl:versionInfo '2'
   curated 'false'
   curated 'true'

Not very useful!

I guess one solution would be to include the version number in the URL,
e.g. <http://uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345/2> (ugly... any better ideas?).

But what if I wanted to make a statement that applies to
<http://uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345> regardless of the version?

The problem is in part solved by the Life Science Identifier scheme,
where the version number is a predefined part of the URL, e.g.

<urn:lsid:uniprot.org:uniprot:P12345:2>

It is now possible to write software that knows that any statements
about <urn:lsid:uniprot.org:uniprot:P12345> also apply to
<urn:lsid:uniprot.org:uniprot:P12345:2>.

Any ideas if the same thing could be accomplished with URLs?