Re: URN as namespace URI for RDF Schema (run away... run away... ;-)

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 07:20:48 -0400
To: "Hammond, Tony" <T.Hammond@nature.com>
cc: "'Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com'" <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, leo@gnowsis.com, mdirector@iptc.org, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

> I thought the advantage of using fragments was that (after reconstruction of
> the original URI from the QName) one would have a natural means of
> addressing into an XML document (describing the schema) using XPointer
> methodology. Am I wrong in this?

I'm afraid you are.    While it may be possible to do what you're
describing, I've never seen it done, and I've never heard the
advocates of fragment-URIs suggest it.

The good reasons I've heard are mostly:
   (1) convenience: dereference of the URI gets the ontology (schema)
       without any special server configuration
   (2) architectural coherence: some people (notably TimBL) think of
       non-fragment URIs as identifying documents; they find it jarring
       (or incoherent) when such URIs are used to identify properties,
       people, etc.

    -- sandro