Re: problems with concise bounded descriptions

On Friday 2004-10-01 08:12, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:
> [...]

Sorry, I haven't been following this closely.  I am going to try to produce a
more rigorous statement of the definition.

Resource: undefined
Body of Knowledge: undefined
Explicit knowledge: undefined

Given a resource R[a] (a named set) and
Given Body of Knowledge K[a] (a set)

Then a Concise, Bounded Resource Description [sic] is defined as:

R[a], such that the contents of R[a] contain K[a]
AND all elements of K[a] are about (that is, reference) R[a] (or objects in
R[a]).

Furthermore:
Let  K[a'] be a subset of any explicit knowledge in K[a] (call this e(K[a]))
where K[a'] references any member of the set not-R[a] (written ~R[a]) or any
contents of ~R[a].
Then e(K[a]) includes no K[a']

=================

But that is as far as I get because the phrase "separately from the same
source" could be interpreted as referring to EITHER R[a] or ~R[a] (though
intuitively R[a] seems the better candidate.

===============

Note also that the fragment:

<quote>
R[a], such that the contents of R[a] contain K[a]
AND all elements of K[a] are about (that is, reference) R[a] (or objects in
R[a]).
</quote>

Would seem to define a set of knowledge rather than a resource _per se_,
namely K[a] bounded by R[a].  K[a] is not necessarily a proper resource, but
only implicitly a resource (that is we could give K[a] a name, that is a
proper, explicit reference). The definition also has no content defining
"concise" like requiring K[a] to be finite or in some sense minimal.

We can think of other potential set algebraic properties that a bounded
knowledge set, K[a] might have that could prove interesting.  (For now we
forget about conciseness, since the original definition actually included
nothing about conciseness like K[a] is finite, or K[a] is a minimal spanning
set.)

K[a] might be "non-orthoganal" so that any reference chain traversing the set
~R[a] to K[a] must originate with a properly named reference node in R[a].
We could even require K[a] to be strongly non-orthoganal such that any
reference chain to K[a] must originate with a named node in K[a].

K[a] might be closed, such that any and all references to K[a] or its elements
do not exit to ~K[a] and all terminate in K[a].