RE: problems with concise bounded descriptions

I *do* assert that CBDs are *an* optimal unit of specific knowledge.

I do *not* assert that CBDs are either *the* optimal unit of knowledge,
or a *perfect* unit of knowledge.

There may be equally optimal units of knowledge for similar applications.

There are surely ways that the definition of CBDs can be improved.

> The point about foaf:maker/foaf:made (and depicts/depiction) was just
> that there is an asymmetry in the design of the RDF syntax, since it
> projects directedness of RDF arcs on to nestedness of XML
> elements. This should
> be of no consequence to those working with the RDF model, in theory.
>
> However in practice, we find that designers of RDF vocabs feel the
> likely RDF/XML encoding of instance data using their properties is a
> (perhaps minor) design constraint on their property naming
> choices. CBD
> has a similar asymmetry, treating a graph built from 'depicts'
> differently from another couched in terms of 'depiction',
> despite their
> being true description of the world under pretty much(*) the same
> circumstances.

I consider inference to be the better way to address issues
of symmetry of knowledge (possibly implicit) versus asymmetry
of presentation/expression.

Thus, an asymmetrical presentation can neverhtheless reflect
a (subset of) fully symettrical knowledge.

It's been my experience that resource-as-subject-only (asymmetrical)
knowledge is far easier to work with when directing particular
tasks/processes than having to work with resource-as-subject-or-object
(symmetrical knowledge).

Of course, that's just my own experience, and I don't at all mean
to suggest that it constitutes the usual experience.

> My concern then, was just that CBD would introduce yet
> another factor into RDFS vocab design, actually a very similar bias to
> that already associated with the RDF/XML syntax: vocab designers would
> have to think more carefully about the direction in which they name
> their RDF properties, even though the pure RDF graph view of this
> suggests they shouldn't have to.

Actually, if the designers simply capture the symmetric relations
between properties, then using inference, one can decide freely
whether a symmetric or asymmetric perspective is most useful.

Cheers,

Patrick