Re: EE Times - Sony lab tips 'emergent semantics' to make sense of Web

Arjohn,

   Thanks for the pointer. Here are my thoughts.

"based on just-patented emergent-semantics principles"

Great, that's what we need to solve interoperability --- a patented
approach. Also, it would appear from the methodology (essentially,
exploiting usage to attach some semantics) that the annotation is quite
broad. An example is their "genre" annotation, where a cloud of
music-sharing agents, through large numbers of exchanges, accrete a
concept of genre. Who knows how this (a) maps to human concepts
("postmodern rainbow funk") or (b) generalises and scales (categories
for literature or poetry?).

I've also seen work previously on evolving a lexicon for interacting
agents --- it's attaching the meaning to the real world that's the
problem. For that, you always need people.

"a top-down approach, such as the Semantic Web"

... riiight. I never knew that we had to get our ontologies checked and
agreed by the W3C!

As always, nice idea, Sony, but solving the wrong problem and patenting
it.

IMO, of course!

-R