Re: Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language change

Dave,

Does this change preclude use of stand-alone '-' as an "operator" property,
or do you depend on other means to make this distinction.

FWIW, my Notation3 parsers exclude '-' from qnames, effectively forcing the
use of full URIs for cases where they contain '-' in the local part.  Thus,
it would make some things easier for me if there were a consensus to allow
'-' in Qnames, though I'd prefer not to completely exclude other uses for '-'.

(FWIW, Haskell faces a similar issue with '.' -- I can provide more details
if you wish.)

#g
--

At 21:07 11/05/04 +0100, Dave Beckett wrote:

>I have just made a change to the Turtle language at
>   http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/2004/01/turtle/
>
>Turtle names (QNames) are now allowed to use '-'.
>
>This was made for several reasons:
>   * '-'  is already seen used in common RDF schema names,
>    such as [1],[2],[3],[4]
>
>   * It is natural to use this in converting from other formats that
>     use '-' in names such as IETF ones like VCARD[2], iCalendar[4]
>
>   * It matches a commonly seen XML naming convention to use
>     foo:bar-baz as well as foo:barBaz (lots of XML examples, such as
>     XSLT, XQuery, XPath)
>
>This change matches what implementations of Notation3 already do
>so should be straightforward.(I checked cwm, and Jena's N3 parser).
>There is a new test case for this change, linked from the
>Turtle page above.   See the Changes section for all updates.
>
>Dave
>
>[1] http://www.aktors.org/ontology/support#
>[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/vcard-rdf/3.0#
>[3] http://xmlns.com/2001/08/wordnet/