RE: Incompatibilities in RDQL implementations

From: Libby Miller <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:01:51 +0100 (BST)
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: Jeen Broekstra <jeen@aduna.biz>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org, Arjohn Kampman <arjohn.kampman@aduna.biz>

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> > Steve Harris wrote:

> > > FWIW 3store requires both <>'s and commas, the commas thing is a bug and
> > > will be fixed. I'm be reluctant to remove or stop requireing
> > the <>'s as I
> > > think it makes the queries more readable.
> >
> > ObAOL: Ditto for Sesame.
>
> What about the potential confusion between <vcard:Family> qname and
> <vcard:Family> new URI scheme?
>
> While I don't use RDQL much, I note that N3 has the same convention: <>
> indicate URI, no-<> indicates qname.

We had several discussions about this during the design of Squish and
related discussions with Andy about RDQL. Dan Brickley and I argued that

* the number of cases where the qname and uri schemes were likely to
clash was small and could be avoided with sensible queries, and

* potentially, being able to embed RDF queries in XML meant that it
was probably best to avoid < >

Libby