Re: German Translation of SemWeb - Deutsche Begriffe

* Benja Fallenstein <b.fallenstein@gmx.de> [2004-03-30 18:57+0300]

> Hi,
>
> Leo asks me whether I'm fine with forwarding this private exchange to
> rdf-i -- I am.
>
> Leo Sauermann wrote:
> | This mail is intentionally German. It's about translating common
> | Semantic Web vocabulary to German and therefore only intended and useful
> | for all German speakers
>
> If someone's annoyed by the international content, please refer to
> http://www.satirewire.com/news/0010/international.shtml ;-) ;-)

When I reworked our charter text recently,
http://www.w3.org/2003/12/swa/swig-charter.html I added a paragraph on
this. Generalyl we use English, but it is important to be inclusive and
the occasional non-English thread isn't going to hurt anyone. I do
encourage summarisation in English though:
[[
 The Interest Group communicates primarily in English, yet seeks to
 serve an International community. Individuals and groups that can help
 support cross-language discussion and collaboration are particularly
 welcome as participants in the Interest Group.
]]

It is also worth noting that this list is archived online at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/ which means each
message has an URL, and can be fed to translation services
such as http://babelfish.av.com (I try reading Japanese weblogs this way
sometimes, with mixed success...). If you're talking about the
subtleties of translation and word choice, Babelfish is a pretty clumsy
tool, but it can sometimes be useful to get the rough idea of an
exchange.

BTW, regarding translations of common /core RDF concepts, you might
find http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema ->
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema-more ->
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/combined-ns-translation.rdf.fr worth looking
at. I tried to structure those files so that RDF crawlers that follow
rdfs:seeAlso references could find translations of the schema labels and
comments, potentially even scattered across several web sites. We don't
yet have a worked out policy for managing this, but I think the format
of combined-ns-translation.rdf.fr would be worth re-use. Charles has
started on a Spanish version, I am not aware of any others yet.

cheers,

Dan