Re: Using RDF to describe biological taxonomy.

Hi Eric --

At 05:39 PM 3/29/04 +0200, you wrote:
>One solution I am aware of is to have a rule engine and store inferred
>statements explicitly.
>
>   if
>     x hasParent y
>     y hasParent z
>   then
>     x hasAncester z

You may like to look at the recursive-rules-over-SQL approach at the site
below.

The system shows you inferred statements, but does not store them
explicitly unless you ask it to do so.

The system is live, online, and the editor- and user-interface is a browser.

The simple examples  SemanticWebOntology1  and  RDFreasoning1  can be run
to illustrate the approach.  (Click on "Internet Business Logic", then on
SemanticWebOntology1  , then "Choose an Agent and Go to View or Change it"
in the pulldown at the top of the page.  Then, please use the Help buttons
to see how to run the example.)

There are also some more complex examples, and you can write and run your
own examples too.

We are currently looking at some life science ontology uses for the system.

HTH.  Thanks in advance for comments.     -- Adrian

                                            INTERNET BUSINESS LOGIC

                                              www.reengineeringllc.com

Dr. Adrian Walker
Reengineering LLC