RE: Funding Opportunities RSS Schema

Paul,

[Kingsley Idehen]
I notice in your reply that you see the need to use a DB engine as part of
the RSS solution that you are trying to produce.

OpenLink Software provides a Universal Server Product called OpenLink
Virtuoso, it includes; SQL, XML, Object-Relational, Virtual SQL Server,
WebDAV/HTTP, NNTP, Blog Engine, and more as part of a single-server that
offers services these services at numerous ports.

Virtuoso supports a number of ways of generating XML from SQL data ("For
XML" SQL Extension, XML Schema Mapping, and ANSI SQL/XML). Using any of
Virtuoso's SQL-XML approaches you can generate RSS (.91, 1.0, 2.0) and/or
ATOM feeds from existing SQL data (ditto FOAF).

My blog demonstrates my suggestions (as it is naturally Virtuoso based):
http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen (all the feeds are generated from
the SQL repository that stores the weblog data). Note, you do note have to
be blogging to achieve what my site is demonstrating (this is one of many
uses of Virtuoso re. RSS generation). If you take a look at our online
documentation for instance you will see that we even make chapters available
as RSS/OPML feeds (http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso).

Virtuoso when operating in Virtual Database Mode has the ability to link any
ODBC or JDBC based tables into its External Data Management engine. This
allows these external tables to be treated as though they are native to
Virtuoso which implies the ability to produce any XML based format from
these SQL Data Sources, and then further transform if need be via its
in-built support for XSL-T.

What I am saying here is that Virtuoso can cut a long story very short since
it can create an XML format from existing SQL (or non SQL data), you don't
need to start building this from scratch if you can avoid doing so. This
capability obviously extends to the generation of RDF/XML and more from
existing data sources also.

You can download a free non expiring copy of Virtuoso from
http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso

There is a product synopsis at:
http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/whatis.htm

Kingsley Idehen