RE: a bnode URI scheme?!

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:51:54 +0100
To: "Andrew Newman" <andrew@tucanatech.com>, "RDF Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

> Geoff Chappell wrote:
> > How could it be wrong?
> >
> > If you have two statements:
> >
> > :_a <b> <c>
> > :_b <b> <c>
> >
> > You have no way of knowing if _a and _b are the same as or different
> > from each other, nor can you ever know (since a bnode has no globally
> > usable name, you can never learn more facts about either).
> >

> I agree - at least without OWL.  I thought what Adam wanted was someway
> to remove either :_a or :_b.

Following the RDF semantics and any legal extensions the meaning of the
graph
> > :_a <b> <c>
> > :_b <b> <c>

is identical to

> > :_b <b> <c>

hence it is a sensible, useful and conformant operation to throw one of the
triples away. (At least in some applications).
In other application, such as an RDF editor, this would be less than useful.

> With the merge example I thought you were doing just that.  So it's not
> okay to merge:
>
> {[http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label] #(new Resource())
> "Intellidimension Inc."}
>
> with:
>
> {[http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label]
> [http://www.intellidimension.com] "Intellidimension Inc."}
>
> They're [predicate, subject, object], right?  You should get both
> statements in the merged model.

In a syntactic merge yes - but if you wish to then simplify the result using
RDF Semantics you can discard the first triple: it is merely a
generalization of the second. Discarding it would only be invalid in an
application which does not conform to RDF Semantics.
An OWL Full application does conform to RDF Semantics.

Jeremy