Re: Mistaken identity?

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:32:03 +0100
To: "www-rdf-interest@w3.org" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

Quoting "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net>:

> Jon Hanna wrote:
> >> Just because you use a particular URI as an rdf identifier doesn't
> >>  automatically mean that the rdf resource is equal to the web page
> >> returned when you dereference the uri.
> >

> > No, it is equal to the resource a representation of which is returned
> >  when you dereference the URI.
> >
> No, sorry, but that just isn't so.  Let me quote from one of the RDF
> Recommendations, the RDF Semantics document -
> "The semantics does not assume any particular relationship between the
> denotation of a URI reference and a document or Web resource which can
> be retrieved by using that URI reference in an HTTP transfer protocol,
> or any entity which is considered to be the source of such documents."

I read that as good separation between specs.

1. URIs provide a way to identify resources.
2. HTTP provides a way to GET or PUT representations of resources, or POST
represetations into them.
3. RDF provides a way to describe relationships between resources identified by
URIs, or between resources and literals.
4. Some mad scheme I think up on the way home tonight (RDS - REM Deprived
Specification) does something else with resources, though it probably doesn't
have much value when re-examined after some sleep.

That HTTP, RDF and indeed RDS don't have anything to say about each other is
dulce et decorum; but they both depend on the use of URIs to identify resources
and when a URI is used in both HTTP and RDF then it sould identify the same
resource (or it's a pretty lousy identifier, not an identifier at all really).

Jon Hanna
"…it has been truly said that hackers have even more words for
equipment failures than Yiddish has for obnoxious people." - jargon.txt