Re: [semanticweb] Re: A discussion: Is semantic web an old fashioned idea?Is it bubble,unworthy or an interesting researcharea

From: Jean-Luc Delatre <jld@club-internet.fr>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:35:01 +0200
To: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Cc: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Adrian Walker <adrianw@snet.net>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org, semanticweb@yahoogroups.com

Joshua Allen a écrit :

> Like seagulls and pigeons, trolls come back if fed.
>
> The topic of "is the semantic web overhyped" is practically a
> permathread on the associated mailing lists.  Few are more "meta" and
> self-reflective than people involved in semantics and metadata.  This
> issue has been discussed ad nauseuem with many stimulating points made
> from all perspectives.

Not on w3c lists it looks like (see below)

> This is not to say that the issue should not be discussed further (it's
> a permathread, after all), but it's not very stimulating to rehash the
> boring basics every time a newbie with a penchant for insult and lack of
> mastery over CAPS lock jumps in and demands to be educated.

Which basics please?
About the Semantic Web or political correctness?
I have only seen complains, not answers.
(BTW, you are quite good at insult too)

> Given that there is such an extensive public record of the various
> perspectives on this debate, it is perfectly fair to demand that such
> rude newbies review the mailing list archives and develop an
> understanding of the contours of the debate, before launching stink
> bombs.

Great, can you tell among the HUGE (oops, caps lock...) amount of 45 pages
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&edition=us&q=%22semantic+web%22+hype+site%3Alists.w3.org&btnG=Google+Search

which ones duplicates this thread?

>Taking the time to catch up on what has already been said is
> only courteous, and gives others a minimum confidence that the troll is
> actually interested in investing the time to develop informed opinions.

My "informed opinion" is that the Semantic Web
fails on one of it's major goals: Interoperability

Can you give me your "informed opinion" about this?

-- Jean-Luc Delatre