Re: [semanticweb] Re: A discussion: Is semantic web an old fashioned idea?Is it bubble,unworthy or an interesting researcharea

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:44:37 -0400
To: Adrian Walker <adrianw@snet.net>
Cc: Jean-Luc Delatre <jld@CLUB-INTERNET.FR>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org, semanticweb@yahoogroups.com

> Thanks for triggering this discussion.  You have winkled many good SW
> people out of their comfortable shells, and into the open. (:-)  In this
> way, I believe you have helped them, and many other people. to sift through
> the good, bad and ugly aspects.  Your opening was abrasive, but perhaps it
> had to be to get the intended effect.

To be clear, many of us recognized Jean-Luc Delatre as trolling [1], and
managed to resist taking the time to entertain him.  There is surely
some benefit in helping educate him -- both for student and teacher --
and I'm sure there are things to learn from him as well, but in my
mind it's a Best Practice to just ignore trolls.

When necessary, as now, it can be helpful to point out to the
assembled on-lookers that the message was a troll.  It seems quite
clear that the primary motivation was "the incitement of conflict"
[1], and now you're applauding that, which seems to me like a really
bad idea.

     -- sandro

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll