Re: A discussion: Is semantic web an old fashioned idea? Is it bubble, unworthy or an interesting research area - Post your comments

Nick Gibbins wrote:

>While I have some sympathy with his cautious attitude towards the Semantic
>Web, Sowa misses the rich history of hypertext systems that the WWW draws
>on. A different characterisation of the growth of the Web might be:
>
>    1. In 6 years (1989 to 1995) with some hype and not
>       insignificant EU and US funding, the WWW evolved from
>       Tim BL's original proposal to a widespread but simple
>       system which is less advanced in certain ways than
>       previous hypermedia systems, such as the Hypertext
>       Editing System, Xanadu, NLS, OWL-Guide and Hypercard

Heh, a little cynicism goes a long way ;-)

btw, did anyone happen to save a copy of Ted Nelson's "XML is Evil" piece?

http://ted.hyperland.com/XMLisEvil.html

Cheers,
Danny.

--