RE: Publication of RDF Data Access Use Cases and Requirements

I've only had time to give it a read through once, but wanted
to note that overall it looks very very good.

I have only one significant concern, and that is the requirement
to only support a subset of XSD datatypes. I understood the
requirement to relate to the query language, as well as the
the query evaluation. If it only concerns query evaluation, then
this must be made clear. If it also concerns query expression,
then the requirement is unacceptable.

I can appreciate the need to limit the hard requirements for query
evaluation to such a subset, but I would like to see an explicit,
distinct requirement added that the query language will allow for
queries to be expressed using any arbitrary datatypes, supporting
the full richness of expression for typed literals provided by RDF.

Even if not all query engines will be required to support arbitrary
datatypes, queries should be expressable in terms of any arbitrary
datatype, and if the query engine understands that datatype, fine;
otherwise, all that can be done is exact comparison of lexical forms.

Note that *all* query engines will be able to provide for equality
tests of typed literals having the same datatype and lexical form,
so requiring the DAWG query language to allow for the expression of
typed literals with arbitrary datatypes is a very reasonable, and
useful, requirement.

If the DAWG could clarify the above requirements, that would
be much appreciated.

Regards,

Patrick