Re: XSLT for literal mapping/conversion

Damian Steer wrote:

> Kirkham, Pete (UK) wrote:
> |
> |>Three triples
> |>

> |>_:a rdf:type r1:date .
> |>_:a xxx:transform eg:r2-to-r1.xsl .
> |>_:a rdf:value "4th June 2004" .
> |>

> |>We might expect xxx:transform to have semantics along the lines of
> |>

> |>"the object of this statement is an XSLT transform that when
> |

> |>applied to the subject serialized in such-and-such a way gives
> |

> |>additional triples that are also true."
> |

> | Which is where the problem is- you want
> |  _:a rdf:type r1:date .
> |  _:a rdf:value "2004-06-04" .
> |
> | but after the transform you've got
> |  _:a rdf:type r1:date .
> |  _:a rdf:value "4th June 2004" .
> |  _:a rdf:value "2004-06-04" .
>
> Ah, I see what you mean. I understood Danny's suggestion to mean that
> one begins:
>
> _:foo ex:date _:a .
> _:a rdf:type r1:date .
> _:a rdf:value "2004-06-04" .
>
> and gets:
>
> _:foo ex:date _:a .
> _:a rdf:type r1:date .
> _:a rdf:value "2004-06-04" .
> _:foo ex:date _:b .
> _:b rdf:type r2:date .
> _:b rdf:type "4th June 2004"
take it
_:b rdf:value "4th June 2004" .

This could be hard in RDF/XML, I think it might be easier in TriX,
although I guess I would need to put up some code to show it.

It's true that the transform must be additive rather than replacing
triples; and the total of all the triples must respect the semantics of
all ontologies. It is not clear how many ontologies and schema are
designed with this in mind. e.g. if ex:date is an owl:FunctionalProperty
in the above then it seems as though we might be hosed, unless we
introduce a new property eg:sameDateAs which does the right thing.

Jeremy