RE: URI: Name or Network Location?

From: Hammond, Tony (ELSLON) <T.Hammond@elsevier.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:08:39 -0000
To: 'Patrick Stickler' <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, ext Phil Dawes <pdawes@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

> But as a first step (or even only step) the approach you've adopted
> is IMO the way to go, and leaves the door open to adding functionality
> in the future.

We adhere to the "less is more" school for reasons of scalability,
discoverability, etc., as previously argued. There really is more to URI as
a naming architecture than HTTP alone. ;)

Note also that we are registering namespaces under INFO - not minting
identifiers. It is the /users/ of INFO URIs that get to mint the
identifiers. We do not control the identifiers so cannot - nor want to -
provide any resolution system.

Tony