Re: URI: Name or Network Location?

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:15:35 -0500
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org, "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net>

This may be obvious, but "location" (as in URL) has nothing to do with
physical location.  "http://www.w3.org/" names a location in
information space, a location on the web.  That "location" isn't in
physical space, isn't on any particular machine, etc.  (For people who
don't know, service at the address is provided by a set of machines on
three continents.)  The word/concept of location here is important
because our human notions of persistence with respect to location
match what works well on the web.  Our human notion of naming matches
less well, IMHO.

        -- sandro