Re: URI: Name or Network Location?

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:07:09 -0500
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org, "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@comcast.net>, "ext Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

> Per your view, most URIs do not denote web pages, images,
> video streams, services, etc. but all denote "locations" and
> if we ever want to describe all those web-accessible resources,
> we need an entirely different set of URIs for them if we wish
> to talk about them.

In my experience, the association between URIs and web content is more
mutable than seems appropriate for the "naming" relationship, and more
like the "location" relationship.  So, you can talk about an image "no
longer being named URI1" and "now being named URI2", or you can talk
about it "being moved from URI1 ro URI2".  Either works.  Do you use
"mv" to rename files, or "rename" to move files?  *shrug*

    -- sandro