Re: URI: Name or Network Location?

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:46:18 +0000
To: leo@gnowsis.com
Cc: "'Patrick Stickler'" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Leo Sauermann wrote:

> Hello "uri crisis" again :-)

> In this discussion my old idea of "Seperation by Ontology" did not show
> up so I will add it here:
>

>         "Seperation by Ontology"
>
> means that you use a URI to identify both the document/resource at the
> indicated web-place and also the concept behind. When you then want to
> know some "http/html" specific stuff like "expiration date", you use the
> html:expire ontology from some HTML scheme. When the resource also
> describes f.e. a FOAF:Person, you can use FOAF:surname on it and it will
> work.
> So:
> The resource has mutliple types and can be viewed from different
> "dimensions", aka the different schemes. That also conforms to the RDF
> specification of multiple types !
>
> This is a practical solution and anybody who did already implement
> somehting like it will agree on that, I hope.
>
> I encourage you, who are interested in the "uri crisis" discussion, to
> TRY OUT the different approaches and write some RDF with them and also
> do some querying. You will be surprised how complicated in practice the
> other approaches are.

In natural language we do all the time: using a part to mean the whole, a
whole to mean the part, or some part to mean a different part. The context
of the utterance is then used to disambiguate. (There are some long words
for these concepts, I forget them now).

It is not clear whether a formal language should try to emulate or avoid
this feature of natural language. It is certainly aids compactness.

Jeremy