Re: Human Friendly Trix

Benja Fallenstein wrote:

> Because of this, I would agree that a different mechanism than
> <?xml-stylesheet?> would be preferable, either a TriX-specific
> processing instruction or an XML attribute to be placed on the document
> tag (I don't think that would be too horrible, although of course
> processing instructions are nice in that document validation isn't
> affected).

Yes the TR for xml-stylesheet has a rationale section which reads somewhat
like an apology. I find it unconvincing. PIs might have weaknesses but the
strength of not requiring any change to anything else. The problem with
additional functionality as xml attributes is that it is opt in, the
existing schema and DTD need to be modified to permit the attribute.
I guess in the TriX case that is probably acceptable.
It is hard to permit multiple transforms, which you can do with stylesheet PI.

> OTOH, introducing your own "media descriptor" for TriX should also be
> possible without causing havoc, even though the specs don't allow it.

I read HTML 4.0 as permitting a profile to include new media descriptors,
without providing any mechanism for so doing. Admittedly there is no
mechanism for using a profile in xml-stylesheet

Jeremy