Re: hiding RDF

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:56:01 -0500 (EST)
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: Andrew Newman <andrew@pisoftware.com>, RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

>Andrew Newman wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure how TriX is solving the human readability problem, if
>> anything the paper seems to suggest that RDF/XML is more readable than
>> simple triple based formats and it is still machine readable.
>

>That is my position, not sure about Patrick.
>I think neither of us are particularly convinced that RDF should be being
>entered by hand, without editor support.

I have a similar approach. It is good that it is possible to write RDF by
hand (something it can inherit from XML, if that is a blessed syntax). In
particular because it is easy to make tools that generate RDF, and test them.

But I don't think that people hand-editing code is a serious use case. It
isn't the case in HTML or XML, where a few adepts do it and millions of
others have some interface they understand that produces some code they just
trust.

Cheers

Chaals