hiding RDF (was: Re: RDF Triples in XML, named graphs)

From: Alberto Reggiori <alberto@asemantics.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:19:51 +0100
Cc: RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

hi Jeremy

On Feb 11, 2004, at 3:11 PM, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

>> I have also done work with Patrick Stickler on a triple based XML
>> syntax and named graphs that I will circulate tomorrow - this too we
>> could talk about.
> It can be found at
> http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/jjc/tmp/trix.pdf

intriguing approach your :) I found especially tasty the solution you
give how to add provenance/context information to RDF graphs - is there
any parser or software supporting your new syntax or XSLTs to convert
TriX syntax to full-blown RDF/XML?

anyhow - while playing here with some pilot projects and trying to sell
RDF based solutions to real customers we found very hard selling the
XML "bits" of RDF, unless we have a good/smart/clever way to "hide it"
behind some more familiar XML shell. Your paper (and others) seems
touching this issue at different levels - but we have to admit that we
still have problems  convincing customers to buy RDF "specific"
syntaxes like your TriX - while using them, users are generally scared
away - unless it resembles something more familiar to simple
"what-you-see-is-what-you-mean" well-formed XML.

a part RPV - have you (or other people on this list) ever gave a closer
look to more XML "friendly" (or lightweight) approaches to RDF like the
xemantics TAP approach?

at first sight it looks quite what an XML user would love to see or use

anyway - nice paper!

all the best