hiding RDF (was: Re: RDF Triples in XML, named graphs)

From: Alberto Reggiori <alberto@asemantics.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:19:51 +0100
Cc: RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

hi Jeremy

On Feb 11, 2004, at 3:11 PM, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

>> I have also done work with Patrick Stickler on a triple based XML
>> syntax and named graphs that I will circulate tomorrow - this too we
>> could talk about.
>
> It can be found at
>
> http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/jjc/tmp/trix.pdf

intriguing approach your :) I found especially tasty the solution you
give how to add provenance/context information to RDF graphs - is there
any parser or software supporting your new syntax or XSLTs to convert
TriX syntax to full-blown RDF/XML?

anyhow - while playing here with some pilot projects and trying to sell
RDF based solutions to real customers we found very hard selling the
XML "bits" of RDF, unless we have a good/smart/clever way to "hide it"
behind some more familiar XML shell. Your paper (and others) seems
touching this issue at different levels - but we have to admit that we
still have problems  convincing customers to buy RDF "specific"
syntaxes like your TriX - while using them, users are generally scared
away - unless it resembles something more familiar to simple
"what-you-see-is-what-you-mean" well-formed XML.

a part RPV - have you (or other people on this list) ever gave a closer
look to more XML "friendly" (or lightweight) approaches to RDF like the
xemantics TAP approach?

http://tap.stanford.edu/xemantics.html

at first sight it looks quite what an XML user would love to see or use
:)

anyway - nice paper!

all the best

Alberto