Re: Non SemWeb uses of RDF

Hi Brian--

Some possibly not very helpful comments:

I think collecting the information you're after (and keeping that
information updated) would be a useful activity in the context of this
group, since it's the sort of question I've heard a lot (and I imagine
others on the list have too).  However, when I've tried to answer this
sort of question in the past, I've always had to ask a couple of
questions myself (just to make sure we're talking the same language),
namely:

(a) how do you define a "non semantic web application" (or
alternatively, how do you define a "semantic web application")?

(b) how do you define a "business application"?

To illustrate why I think those questions are relevant (and it would be
helpful to have some common understanding), Section 6.5 of the RDF
Primer describes an RDF-based language used by the electric power
industry in the US to exchange power system models (for purposes of
managing flow in the electricity grid).  I don't know that I'd describe
that as a "semantic web application", since I doubt that any of those
descriptions ever appear on the web (at least I've never found any),
even though it uses RDF, a "semantic web language" (does that make it a
"semantic web application"?).  On the other hand, electric power
generation is certainly a business (so are the places where lots of the
bioinformatics work is being applied), but lots of people wouldn't think
of those sorts of "back room" technology applications as being "business
applications" either.  As another example, I've also run across an
RDF-based spec to enable the exchange of real estate investment
information (see http://www.dataconsortium.org/index.html), although I
don't know how much these specs are being used.  Real estate is
certainly a business, but once again it's not clear this type of
information will necessarily appear on the web, and lots of people
wouldn't think of this kind of "technical" spec as being a "business
application".  So what is?  General ledger?  HR?  CRM?

At the same time, there's clearly lots of activity in practically every
area that anyone would accept as a "business application" in trying to
apply straight XML (some of these groups also define equivalent RDF
Schemas, e.g. some of the OASIS groups in various areas).  And I think
that a lot of that information (together with information in relational
databases) will eventually wind up being, in effect, interpreted as RDF
(or, if you prefer, as simple statements about various objects or
resources using something like URIs for disambiguation) when
larger-scale merging of information from those various languages becomes
necessary, whether that information is literally expressed in RDF or
not.  When this will happen is, as you'd expect, quite literally a
"business decision", and it depends a lot on the assessment in
individual application domains of when the cost/benefit analysis of
applying these technologies becomes (or at least appears!) favorable.
It isn't going to happen all at once, or at the same rate in all
application areas.

I look forward myself to seeing other replies.

--Frank